Surah  Al-Alaq

IQRA:Read!

The angel, Gabriel (Jibril), asked the prophet,Muhammad Shallahu alaihi wassalam -Peace be upon him,to read. "Iqra", said the angel. The prophet felt a great confusion as he could not read. "Iqra", said the angel for the second time. " I don't know how to read", replied the prophet tremblingly. For the third time, the angel said, "Iqra". The prophet got more flustered and replied, 'I do not know how to read'.

"Read in the name of your lord who created", the angel continued. At this point Rasullullah learnt that he must recite or repeat the verse that he uttered. There were 5 verses that the holy prophet acquired. He listened and repeated the verses until he memorised them very well.

The guidance of learning

This was the scene when Rasulullah received the first of quran revelation located in Hira cave million years ago. The meaning of the surah implied so much about learning. However, The  thing that I would like to highlight here is listening and repeating make important role in learning.

The throwback

The first lesson that I got when I was little was listening to my parents' voice. They talked to me and repeated the words I had to learn. It was not until I was 5 that I could read alphabet and numbers. In fact, this was what we all had gone through. Listen,recite and read.

When I entered kindergarten school,singing almost took up the entire of the lessons. In those songs were words dancing in my head through my little ears. I had no idea how many songs that I could memorise through listening not reading. One of the songs living in my brain mortally is 'Potong Bebek Angsa'.

Through listening exposure, l learned dua for my parents to get Allah's mercy(Al-Isra:24) without knowing that ayat/verses were part of Quran. Yes, I read the holy quran through listening.

The motive

At the stage of adult, I really envied  the bunch of kids for memorising quran beautifully. I wondered how they could do such amazing things. Were they all santri students? If they were,well I thought that was as santri had to do. As years passed by, I found out that not all those who have memorised quran went to an Islamic boarding school. As I surprisingly bumped into some news about children who could memorise the holy quran eventhough they were blind. How did they do that? Listening. They learned by listening to the surah days and nights persistently. It was hard to belief but the facts revealed the truth.


This evidence struck me, I felt excited yet embarrassed at the same time. I have no problems with my eyes nor my ears, all my parts of body work well but I can't do what they did. It got me thinking could I do that too .I was thinking about this for a long time and asking myself to accomplish thing that I would always like to do.

In Islam, it is believed that quran is the reader's best friend in this earth and hereafter. Surely, Quran will defend its reader in the judgement day. For me this acknowledge is such a relief learning that ways to hereafter is a long and uneasy journey.

Thus, I cannot find any other reasons to not memorising quran. It is not hard. It is only need one tiny step, listen to one ayat/verse first, then recite it regularly. When the laziness(which comes from syatan) takes the Micky out of me once in a while, I shall look to my goals and continue to the well-planed track. INSAALLAH.


Let's kick off  the new year of 2019 with positivity, supportive friends and more learning. 

Bismillahirrohmanirrohiim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me